Position: VENTURE INTERN
Dates: JUNE-AUGUST 2022
The Venture Intern will be responsible for completing company analysis, researching, and helping present potential investment opportunities for the fund.
Stray Dog Capital is a leading venture capital firm that invests in early-stage food, food-tech, and bio-tech companies whose products and services offer a meaningful improvement over their animal-based counterparts and will revolutionize the food landscape. We have a large portfolio of companies that include Beyond Meat, Kite Hill, Miyoko’s Kitchen, Memphis Meats, Geltor, and many others. We believe in living our values; are deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion; and are doing our part to help cultivate the next generation of professionals that better mirror our community. Our organization is led by CEO, Lisa Feria, who is a woman of color, originally from Puerto Rico, and is a well-known leading venture capitalist in our market.
You’re excited to learn about Venture Capital and get your foot in the door of this incredibly competitive field. You’ve worked hard in the past and are eager to roll up your sleeves and work for and learn from top-tier venture investors. You’re thoughtful about what it means to incorporate values and mission into investing and are ready to contribute your passion and perspective to our team. You want your job to matter, to leave a legacy, to build a better world.
- Research industry and sector landscapes and identify whitespace opportunities for the fund.
- Screen entrepreneurs’ pitch decks and conduct interviews with entrepreneurs.
- Evaluate opportunities for investment, assess investment risks, analyze financial data, and guide investment valuation
- Research, analyze and identify attractive investment opportunities.
- Assist in completing due diligence for deals, assist the other members of the fund in properly vetting opportunities.
- Assist in the creation of Investment Memos that distill the due diligence findings and present a balanced view of the opportunity. Present to the decision-makers in the firm.
- Contribute to important internal initiatives around strategy, marketing, relationship management, and fund administration
- Work with the rest of the team for other projects (“flow to the work”).
- Working towards an undergraduate degree with a minimum of two years completed at the time of application.
- Evidence of hard work and drive outside of the classroom through things like leadership positions in clubs, organizations, or successfully balancing work with academic obligations.
- GPA: 3.2 or above
- Sense of urgency and ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills that will allow you (1) to interact professionally and effectively with your team, SDC leadership, and external partners; and (2) to summarize and synthesize information succinctly.
- “Can do” entrepreneurial attitude and persistence to figure out a way to get things done, no matter the obstacles.
- Excellent project management: can optimize work processes and plans. Separates and completes tasks in an efficient workflow.
- Nimble and action-oriented – comfortable with changing circumstances and able to adapt accordingly.
- Comfort with Microsoft Office – high level of comfort building Excel spreadsheets, composing messages in Word, and preparing presentations in PowerPoint.
- Inquisitive mind and drive for improvement – you ask questions and look for ways to do things better and faster.
- Fundamental understanding of core business concepts around finance, strategy, and operations
- Fully paid internship: $2500/month plus airfare.
- Lodging assistance.
- Possibility of virtual internship if travel to Leawood, Kansas is not feasible.