Our food system is broken, causing pollution, using up freshwater, resulting in deforestation, and contributing to antibiotic resistance. We at Stray Dog Capital believe that the solution is to find and invest in the most promising food startups that will replace the most environmentally harmful animal-based products. We invest in alternative proteins, milk, cheese, dairy, and egg alternatives (among others) because we believe in a more sustainable, healthy, and delicious food system.
Stray Dog Capital is a Venture Capital fund that invests in exciting early-stage startups in food, food technology, synthetic biology, and cellular agriculture. We have >45 investments (including Beyond Meat, Miyoko’s Creamery, Kite Hill, and Alpha Foods) and are a leader in our field. We provide capital and resources to accelerate the growth of talented entrepreneurs who will have an outsize impact on the marketplace. We pride ourselves on bringing a diverse point of view to the venture capital space and to our team composition.
We are seeking an Associate that will support the investment team in all aspects of investing and portfolio monitoring. The role will closely interact with entrepreneurs, investors, and key opinion leaders in the market. The role has a specific emphasis in the food system via investments in food, food tech, cellular agriculture, and synthetic biology.
- Support the deal sourcing process by identifying and screening investment opportunities and their alignment with the fund’s core investment themes.
- Help support the screening and due diligence process for potential investments.
- Manage set of portfolio companies: maintain relationships with CEOs/Founders of our portfolio companies and support them in their growth.
- Assist investment team by sourcing new deals and exploring new deal sources.
- Develop financial models (P&L, BS, CF, cap table, waterfalls) to forecast business performance, costs, and simulate potential return scenarios.
- Author investment memos that clearly and succinctly summarize diligence findings, strengths, and risks.
- Develop materials for the Investment Committee. This includes constructing professional presentation materials, developing, and refining presentation themes, data gathering and synthesis.
- Share in certain general activities of the firm, such as managing and updating the firm’s CRM platform, authoring a variety of written materials including quarterly investor reports, monthly CEO newsletters, and annual portfolio reports.
- Deepen existing industry sector knowledge and contacts to help drive investment strategy and effectively conduct due diligence.
- 2-4 years of work experience including 2+ years of investment banking, private equity/venture capital, hedge fund or management consulting.
- Demonstrated intellectual strength through test scores, GPA and/or strong academic performance at a top-tier university.
- Venture Capital/private equity knowledge preferred (self-taught or as separate coursework.)
- High level of comfort with Excel.
- Knowledge of the due diligence process and ability or experience crafting investment summaries and recommendations.
- Self-guided and with high levels of initiative.
- Sense of urgency, ability manage multiple priorities. Excellent organizational skills.
- Great written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills; high EQ.
- Ability to summarize and synthesize information succinctly.
- Highly curious, continuous learner.
- Interested/passionate about introducing plant-based and other alternatives to the food system.
- Excellent networking and interpersonal skills with proven ability to maintain effective business relationships.
- Base Compensation: $105,000 with carry.
- Role includes generous medical insurance, 401 (k) and pet insurance benefits.
- Diverse applicants are welcome!
- We are open to remote work arrangements.
- Working Environment: Our extended team, composed of >15 members form a dynamic, friendly, fun, and constructive environment. We pride ourselves on having an inclusive and thriving culture.